Student Support Services
Student Support Services.
The purpose of the student support services to assist students to define and accomplish academic, career and personal goals by providing developmental, preventive and remedial support. The focus is on the realization of the full human potential of each student. Ultimately, every student who enrolls should graduate within the prescribed or allowed duration. The student support plays a key role in meeting this goal.
The students support services are coordinated from the office of the dean of students. Other staffs in the department are the college counsellor, College chaplain and a departmental secretary. The department works in collaboration with all departmental heads and other student affairs services.
Functions of student support department.
Coordinates and conducts:
- Freshmen’s orientation programs
- Students groups activities such as clubs, societies and religious groups.
- Trainings for leaders
- Elections of students’ representative council officials
- Student mentorship
- Counselling services
- Chaplaincy services
- Support for students with financial challenges through identification of potential donors and partners, lobbying and advocacy.
- Clients and customer grievances
- Conflict and conflict resolution for staff and students
These functions are achieved through:
These are offered by professional counselors. The services address:
- Crisis Intervention
- Spiritual guidance and counselling
- Bereavement support
- Spiritual support for the sick
- Organizing college religious functions
- Linkage and collaboration with other institutions
Done twice a year to help students joining college to adapt to the new environment. Involves all department and covers a wide range of areas. These include:
- Familiarization with policies
- Life skills
- Time management
- Stress management
- Study habits
- Use of resources such as the resource centre
- Drug and substance abuse
- Personal finance management
Student group activities
- Religious activities
- Departmental organization activities
- Clubs and societies activities
- Coordination and participation in corporate social responsibility activities.
Students Representative Council Elections:
- Calling for interested contestants
- Receiving of applications
- Overseeing the campaigns
- Overseeing elections
- Swearing in of office bearers.
- Oversee handing over ceremony
- Overseeing SRC activities.
- Motivational talks and activities
- Life skills coaching
- Adjustments and adaptation
- Academic guidance
- Preparation for the job market
- Writing a resume/ CV
- Preparation and presentation for job interviews
- Personal professional development and career progression