Brief History of the Campus
KMTC Manza campus is situated four (4) kilometers from Machakos along the Machakos – Nairobi road at Kenya Israel Shopping Centre. The existence of the Kenya Israel campus goes back in the years 1955 – 1956, where there existed a school of Rural Day Primary school for the European children. After independence the number of European children attending the school dropped. In 1963, the Israel government chose to start a social workers course hence the Kenya Israel School started. This training continued until 1972 when the social workers course was transferred to Kenya Institute of Administration (K I A)
In 19 November 1976, the Ministry of Education agreed that the building should be handed over and owned by the Ministry of Health for use by University of Nairobi Medical students studying rural medicine. Later it began to train registered medical assistants (clinical medicine officers). In 1979, the first certificate class of environmental health sciences students (public health technicians) was admitted into this campus. It being spacious, in September 1991 the KMTC Nairobi campus identified it as an ideal place for it to train its third year clinical medicine students while doing their practical at Machakos General Hospital.
In 1998, the certificate course of environmental health sciences was phased out and a diploma course started and still is training. In 2006, the department started a certificate course (three months) on community development. The College is sitting on 21 acres of land of which the built up area is only 8 acres and is currently hosting three departments i.e. Environmental Health Sciences, Pharmacy and Medical Imaging Sciences. It is worth noting that it has room for expansion.
Population of the campus at present
The current population of the campus is 406 students.
- Environmental Health Department with 120 students
- Pharmacy department with 229 students
- Medical imaging department with 57 students
Diploma Courses at Manza
- Environmental Health Services
- Medical Imaging Sciences
Mode of Learning
The mode of learning is full time, from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
There are no part time classes at the moment.
The facilities available include:
- Lecture rooms
- Pharmacy Laboratory
Practical Placement sites
Medical Imaging Sciences
Environmental Health Sciences
- Government institutions – MTRH, KPA, KNH
- NGOs – Red Cross
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Hospitals (public)
- Community pharmacy
Clubs & Sports
- SRC – Students Representative Council: Which is part of the college set up.
- CU – Christian Union
- Catholic Association
- SDA Student union
- Environmental awareness club
- (ii), (iii) and (iv) – Specified on religious activities
Housing & Dining
- The college has a functional dining hall which has a capacity of 50 people in a seating.
- Meals are available at a reasonable price depending on the type of the meal.
- The dining hall is operational throughout weekdays and weekends.
KMTC Manza Campus
Tel: 0714595245 / 044-21918