History of Nyeri Campus
The history of Nyeri campus can be traced back to 1947 when the college opened its doors to its first students. It was started as an Enrolled Nursing school.
In 1975, the college admitted the first Enrolled Community Nursing students while in 1995, the first Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing class at the campus took off. Nine years later in 2004, the college began offering an upgrading course in Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing.
The college is located along Kimathi/Kangemi Road, next to Nyeri County Level v Hospital.
Since inception, the college has continued to experience phenomenal growth and is currently offering six programs.
The programmes offered are:
- Nursing : 1947 – TOTAL NO. OF STDS = 366
- Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) :1977 – TOTAL NO. OF STDS = 115
- Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS) : 1981 – TOTAL NO. OF STDS = 110
- Clinical Medicine : 2005 – TOTAL NO. OF STDS = 208
- Pharmacy : 2010 – TOTAL NO. OF STDS = 180
- Medical Imaging Sciences (MIS) :2010 – TOTAL NO. OF STDS = 72
KMTC Nyeri has plans to start new courses as soon as the lecturers’ hall and resource center under construction are completed.
MODE OF LEARNING
- Learning for the six (6) programs is on full time basis
(8.00 am to5. 00 p.m)
- The Campus does not offer part-time learning
- Currently we do not offer distance learning programme
Practicals are carried out in all the programmes at the already available laboratories and in the available clinical sites in the County.
We’re proud of our state of the art facilities, many of which are new, have been recently renovated or under construction to cater for students’ training needs. Computer and skills laboratories, hostels, classes, conference rooms, library and dining hall are all available to enhance students’ training at the campus.
- 15 Classrooms available each with a capacity of
50 – 70 students
- We have a Skills Laboratory where students from the Departments of Nursing and Clinical Medicine respectively practice with simulated patients in order to enhance their skills
- We have well equipped clinic with a nurse to cater for our students
- We have two well-equipped Laboratories utilized by the Medical Laboratory Sciences and Pharmacy students in line with their Syllabus career requirement
- Computer Laboratory with internet options where students converge for their computer application and experience. WIFI is availed to students for learning in different areas
- Library which offers modern Textbooks for borrowing and reference purposes
- A Phlebotomy Laboratory, which is well-equipped for the purpose of training Students/Staff on safe drawing of blood
- A laboratory, classrooms and Library Block is currently under construction.
CLUBS AND SPORTS
The active clubs are:
- Christian Union
- Catholic Action
- Seventh Day Adventist Church
- Muslim Group
- Drama club
In sport students are involved in different sports both indoors and outdoors such as football, volleyball, netball, badminton, table tennis, chess and scrabble darts.
HOUSING AND DINING
- The campus has two hostel blocks, whereby each Block has 96 rooms each having 4 beds
- We have a small dining hall where students partake their meals which are served to them at their convenience.
- The following meals are provided in our Catering Department:
- Breakfast: Tea and Porridge served with Loaves of Bread, Eggs, Sausages, Mandazi, according to one’s choice
- Lunch and Supper: Chapati, Rice, Githeri, Ugali, Mukimo served with Green Peas, Beans, Cabbages, Kales, Meat
- The kitchen and dining facilities are operational on weekends as well as Public Holidays. Cafeteria method is applied while serving them any time of the day up to 8.30 p.m
AREAS OF CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
The following are the areas of students’ clinical placements:
- Provincial General Hospital
- Mukurweini District Hospital
- Karatina District Hospital
- Othaya District Hospital
- Health Centres e.g.
- Private Hospitals e.g
- Consolata Mission
- Tumu Tumu
KMTC Nyeri Campus
P.O. Box 466-10100,
Tel: 0612032564 / 02030036