Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) Garissa Campus was started in 1980 and it is situated within Garissa town, in Garissa County. The Campus trains students from all over the country and beyond, and is instrumental in providing quality health care workers.
KMTC Garissa’s Upper Campus, which is next to Garissa County Teaching and Referral Hospital, hosts tuition and administration blocks. The Lower Campus, situated in the center of Garissa town near the GK prison, is mainly the students’ hostel.
Programmes and Courses currently offered
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery
- Diploma in Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing (KRCHN)
- Certificate in Kenya Enrolled Community Health Nursing (KECHN)
- Diploma in Community Health Nursing (KECHN) (Upgrading from Certificate to Diploma, through distance learning)
- Well stocked library
- Well-equipped skills lab
- Administration block
- Spacious classrooms
- Conference rooms
- Hostel block
Garissa Campus currently has a population of 710 students with the number expected to increase in the next intake.
Clinical experience sites
Students visit the following clinical areas for their practicals within and outside the county.
- Garissa County Referral Hospital
- Iftin Sub-County Hospital
- Madina Health Centre
- Madogo Health Centre
- Meru Teaching and Referral Hospital
- Kangeto Health Centre
- Runi Health Centre
- Mbeu Health Centre
- Kanyakine Sub- District Hospital
- Githongo Level 4 Hospital
- Mikumbune Sub- District Hospital
- Muthuro Health Centre
- Kirua Mission Hospital
Clubs, societies and sports
The students engage in extra-curricular activities such as the following:
- Sports club
- Dance club
- Christian Union
- Young Catholic Students.
- Muslim Students Association.
Campus contact information: –
KMTC Garissa Campus
P.O. Box 167- 70100 Garissa