Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) Kilifi Campus is located in Kilifi Town next to Kilifi County Referral and Teaching Hospital and KEMRI-Wellcome Trust offices, in Kilifi County.
The Campus began its operations in 1987 with a class of 18 students undertaking a two-year Certificate Course in Medical Engineering in a collaboration between the Government of Kenya through the Ministry of Health and Swedish International Development Authority (SIDA). The partners established the Campus with an aim of solving the problem of maintenance and repair of hospital and medical equipment used for clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic care in hospitals and health centres in Kenya. In 2006, Nursing Department was established with the first class of 40 students being admitted. From April 2019, Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery as well as Higher Diploma in Critical Care Nursing started.
Programs and Courses currently offered: –
- Certificate in Medical Engineering
- Diploma in Medical Engineering (Upgrading)
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery
- Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing (KRCHN)
- Kenya Registered Critical Care Nursing (KRCCN)
- Kenya Enrolled Community Health Nursing (KECHN)
- Library: – The campus has a functional and well-stocked library with reference books, journals, internet connectivity, photocopying services and helpful staff. The Kenya National Library is also located a few meters from the Campus for students who may wish to register so as to get more reference material.
- Workshops: – There are four main workshops, namely Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical and Medical Equipment workshops which are equipped with machinery and teaching models for Medical Engineering students.
- Skills Laboratory: – This is equipped with the modern dummies and teaching aides for practical demonstrations for nursing students.
- Classrooms: – There are nine spacious classrooms that accommodate 50 students each, all equipped with LCD projectors and whiteboards.
- ICT Laboratory: – Well-equipped computer lab with internet access and state-of-the-art desktop computers.
- Transport: – The Campus has a 51-seater bus and a 14-seater mini-bus to transport students and staff to and from clinical areas and other official duties.
- Hostels: – Accommodation is available for students on a first come first served basis.
- Dinning: – The Campus has a tuck shop and students’ canteen.
- Common Room: – is fitted with digital TV and indoor games equipment.
The current Campus population stands at over 700 students pursuing Higher Diploma, Diploma and Certificate level courses in Nursing, Medical Engineering and Clinical Medicine & Surgery.
Clinical experience sites
Students break for clinical experiences at the end of every block/semester and are attached to various hospitals and rural health facilities across the country. Student assessment and supervision are regularly undertaken and reports made, which contribute to the students’ final score at the end of their respective programmes.
Our close proximity to Kilifi County Referral Hospital ensures that our students participate in learning activities that bring them into direct contact with patients enabling them to hone their professional skills.
Clubs, Societies and Sports
Students engage in extra-curricular activities such as football, volleyball, netball, basketball, athletics, handball and indoor games. The Campus participates in the KMTC National Sports Championships annually. For those who love swimming, the Indian Ocean is a few metres away from Campus, in addition to beaches of numerous hotels.
Religious groups include: Christian Union (C.U), Young Christian Students (YCS), Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) and Muslim Students Association.
The Student Representative Council (SRC) oversees student welfare and provides a link between the students and management. Annual SRC elections are held to vote in fresh leaders.
Campus Contact information: –
KMTC Kilifi Campus
P. O. BOX 95-80108