The Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) is a State Corporation established in 1927 through an Act of Parliament Cap 261 of the Laws of Kenya, amended by Act No. 5 of 2019.
KMTC stands as one of the oldest and largest Medical Training Colleges for training Health professionals in Kenya and East and Central Africa.
The College’s first formal training was at Kenya Institute of Administration, now Kenya School of Government (KSG), in Lower Kabete with four students undertaking Compounding Certificate course in Pharmacy.
The College is under the Ministry of Health, entrusted with the role of training various disciplines in the Health sector to serve the interests of East Africa and beyond. In the 2013-2017 strategic period, the College was re-categorized from PC 2 to PC 4A, expanding its mandate to include research and bringing it to the same level with other training and research institutions.
KMTC is headquartered in Nairobi, opposite Kenyatta National Hospital, along Old Mbagathi Road, and has 71 Campuses distributed across 43 Counties.
A model institution in the training and development of competent health professionals.
To produce competent health professionals through training and research, and provide consultancy services.
Accountability and Integrity
Creativity and innovation
Training for Better Health
The mandate of KMTC
The mandate of the KMTC as stipulated in the Act of parliament Cap 261 of the laws of Kenya is:
- To provide facilities for quality education for national health manpower requirements;
- To play an important role in the development and expansion of opportunities for Kenyans, wishing to continue their education;
- To provide consultancy services in health related areas;
- To develop health trainers who can effectively teach conduct operational research, develop relevant and usable health learning materials;
- To conduct examinations for and grant diplomas certificates and other awards for the College;
- To determine who may teach and what may be taught and how it may be taught in the college, and;
- To examine and make proposals for establishment of constituent training centres and faculties.
Why train with KMTC
When you chose to train with KMTC, you join a College that has been in existence for the last 94 years. You join a network of over 51,000 students who aspire to improve the lives of the communities they live in. You will get specialized training in 83 medical courses and be part of achieving the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) agenda and Kenya Vision 2030.
Our team of competent and highly qualified faculty of more than 3,000, are ready to serve you in any of our 71 Campuses countrywide. Our national distribution has provided access to world class health training opportunities and our strategic placement next to referral hospitals – which are our clinical training sites, is our biggest asset.
We offer a wide range of courses in Certificate, Diploma, Higher Diploma in addition to short courses, which are responsive to customer needs and emerging trends. Our training is hands-on, 70% practical’s and 30% theory. The ever-rising interest by Kenyans and internationals students to train with us demonstrates the trust bestowed on KMTC. In any health facility you go to in Kenya and even internationally, you will not miss to find a KMTC graduate or trainee.